Tuesday 8 February 2011

A Case of the Runs

Okay, this is post number two. I wrote rather a lot in my first post, that I'm doubtful there'll be anything left to write about this time.

So where did we end last time? Oh yes, it's 14th August 2010 and I've just learned that I've been accepted for a place in the marathon by my chosen charity. Up to this point, I had been doing some running, admittedly, not often enough, and not really as part of any fitness plan. Now I realised that it was time to step up my game. It was fair to say that I was an absolute beginner, if not in running, then certainly long-distance running, and definitely marathon running.

I did some research by looking at training plans on the Internet. That was rather complicated as there are so many different training plans, and I did not have the faintest idea which one was right for me. There are literally hundreds to choose from. I'm not misusing the word 'literally' like all the kids do these days (e.g.: "I, like, literally died of embarrassment, I literally jumped out of my skin, I'm literally crapping myself," etc, etc, etc), there literally were so many out there to pick. I just wanted to be told what day to run and how far to run and how long for. Eventually I found a programme that I thought was right for me. I can honestly say that training plans are extremely helpful because they help you progress at a steady and controlled rate. I don't always stick to what the training plan says though. Sometimes if it says "run ten miles," I try to do eleven. Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist or maybe it's because I'm too bloody stubborn to do what I'm told. Also, in my defence, most training plans are usually only about 12 to 16 weeks long because runners tend to begin their training after Christmas or at the beginning of January. I started my training in August. I was a complete novice after all, and quite frankly, with eight months to go until the marathon, I needed all the training I could get.

I also kept a log of my running, making a note of how far I had run each time.
Looking at the log now, attempting to decypher the illegible scrawls on the paper, the first time I trained "properly," I apparently ran for exactly one mile on Saturday 14th August. When I first started out, I could barely run for more than three minutes without having to slow down or stop for breath. As the months went on, I was able to run for longer durations and cover longer distances as my stamina steadily improved. By the end of September, I was able to run for over half an hour without needing to stop. By December, I was able to run for an hour and a half continuously, which just goes to show that if you work hard at something and keep working at it, you will eventually make progress and get results. So many people take part in exercise, whether to get fit or lose weight, and expect instant results and gratification, little realising that it takes time before you see any signs of improvement, and as a result, they give up at the first hurdle.

At the time of writing this, the furthest I have managed to run in a single training session is 18 miles (16 of them continuously; I had to slow down and walk a couple of times over the last two miles). I think I've come a long way since August. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet, trombone or any other brass instrument, but I definitely think I've done exceptionally well to get this far. I am not going to rest on my laurels just yet as there is still room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment