Saturday 9 April 2011

Let's Get Physio


Visited the physiotherapist this morning to see if there was anything that she could do for me, in the final stretch leading up to the marathon. I have been prodded, poked, probed, twisted, bent double and been subjected to a barrage of questions. Upon inspection, there doesn’t seem to be any real damage and the foot itself is fine. The physiotherapist recommended a few stretches that I shall do to help me. Then she rubbed some lubricating jelly-like substance onto my lower leg and gave me an ultrasound. I was half-tempted to ask if I was going to have a boy or a girl. Following that, she stuck some patches onto my leg and plugged electrodes to them and sent an electric current through me for about fifteen minutes. Overall, I think it helped, and I am going back there on Tuesday evening. I think I’m going to be all right now.

I turned up at my secondary school on Wednesday. I attended that school between the years of 1995 and 2002, so it had been a fair while since I was last on the premises! Some of the pupils there were taking part in a sponsored run in the streets surrounding the school, all to benefit my marathon fundraising. The whole thing had been carefully planned and coordinated as if it were a military operation. I was asked to come along in order to give the proceedings a bit more authenticity. It is, after all, better for the pupils doing the running to see who they are doing it for. By meeting them and explaining why I was running the marathon for the RNID, it gave them a sense of perspective. I think. I hope. It was a lovely day for a run, and the kids really got into the spirit of things, even the ones, who I was told weren’t particularly known for making much movement!
At the end of an hour’s running (or walking as some chose to do), I awarded a prize to the person that had run the most laps of the school perimeter (seven). I also awarded a prize to the best costume – the decision was easy. It was a blonde lad who had decided to put on a nice pink bra. I figured that anybody who had the sheer gall to run around the local streets sporting a bright pink brassiere deserves a prize for his efforts.
The local paper never did turn up. I guess they didn’t consider the story remotely newsworthy. A shame really. It kind of belittled the sterling effort put in by the kids who really did work hard. I was not expecting much money to be raised from the afternoon, but I was told that between everybody, an astonishing £250-£300 was raised. Fantastic, really, and very much appreciated.

So you’re thinking: “enough about the bloody children and their running. We want to know about you!” OK. Since my last post, I’ve done a bit more running and a bit more resting, and I think it’s fair to say that my foot is very nearly healed. There’s no question of me pulling out of the marathon. Definitely not. Most certainly not. I will cross that finish line by any means necessary, fair or unfair. Perhaps this injury was a blessing in disguise. Before I became injured, I was beginning to become complacent, and rather getting bored of the long runs every weekend. Now this has made me more determined than ever. It’s fuelled a great anger and burning desire to complete the race. As I said in one of my first posts, this is going to be my first marathon and as such, I don’t have a finishing time in mind. I just want to complete the bloody thing. As my running technique improved, I did start to get a finishing time in my head – but that can wait for another year. This is my first marathon and I don’t have a time to beat; that can come next year when I attempt to beat whatever my time will be this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment