Tuesday 10 April 2012

Where There's Willpower, There's A Way

We're well into April now and the London Marathon is just 12 days away. I've continued toning down the training, having done 12 miles on Sunday and I've currently raised over £1200 so far. I see a pattern of twelves emerging, oddly.

My further plans for fundraising are also underway and I should quite easily raise the required funds for the charity -- although it still looks unlikely I'll beat last year's amount of £3500, barring some sort of last-minute sponsorship from a generous anonymous millionaire, or unless the quiz and other fundraising activities bring in more money than expected. At least I have a fairly decent chance of beating last year's finishing time. I've put in a lot of hard work over the last six months and racked up a quite impressive 600 miles of training. As long as I stay uninjured, everything will be fine.

The physical preparation is done, now for the mental preparation. It's all in the mind, as they say. If my legs start to give up at 20 miles, hopefully sheer willpower and determination will see me through. Even if my body screams at me to stop, I will fight the desire to stop for a bit (I accept a small amount of walking might be necessary, but it's better than coming to a complete stop), and instead just focus on my goal of getting to end and beating last year's time. If I use my mind to push on through when the going gets tough, who knows what I can achieve?

No comments:

Post a Comment