Thursday 28 November 2013

Martin's on the Run Again

I am blowing the dust and cobwebs off this old blog because it's time to start posting again. I have once again thrown my proverbial hat into the ring and entered myself in the 2014 London Marathon.

You'd think someone would be satisfied with having done the marathon three times in three consecutive years, each time beating their previous time. And I am satisfied, but I want to carry on fundraising. I guess you could say I've been well and truly bitten by the marathon bug. There's no greater feeling than knowing you've accomplished such a feat of endurance and helped to raise lots of money for a good cause.

In 2011 I raised over £3500 running for the RNID, in 2012 I raised over £2700 for Action on Hearing Loss and in 2013 I raised over £2500 for Whizz-Kidz (you can see the law of diminishing returns at work here, but still very, very, very impressive amounts of money to raise).
In 2014 I shall be running and fundraising for Cancer Research UK. This is a charity that means a great deal to me as my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer about two years ago. Though she is now in remission, it was a worrying time for all of the family, most of all for her. A number of other family members have also battled various forms of cancer, including aunties and uncles, not to mention many family friends. 2014 also marks 30 years since my grandmother passed away from pancreatic cancer, so as you can see, the pursuit of a cure for cancer and scientific research into finding a cure and developing better treatment is one that I believe in strongly.

My training began some time ago and I am gradually increasing my strength and stamina as I go. Already I am running over ten to fifteen miles each weekend. Against my better judgement and normally financial prudent ways, I joined a local gym, so if it ever gets too cold, snowy and icy outside, as it did last winter, I have no reason to miss out on my training as I can take to the treadmill instead. It's no substitute for the hard surface of a concrete pavement, but in an emergency and as a last resort, it'll do.

If you would like to support me, you can sponsor me by visiting: http://www.justgiving.com/Martinpampelmarathon

No comments:

Post a Comment