Tuesday 21 January 2014

If The Shoe Fits

It's been a couple of months since I last posted anything. After four years of writing a blog about my marathon training, it's hard to come up with something genuinely new and not rehash old topics. Stepping up my training? Talked about that before. Injury scares? Done that. Bought a new pair of shoes? Mentioned that before. Mind you, that was a while ago. I think sufficient time has passed for me to be able to revisit that subject.

It had been nearly two years since I bought my last pair of running shoes. Normally runners are advised to replace their shoes every 300-400 miles and I think my last pair of shoes had done at least three times that distance. Really, I should have replaced them a long, long time ago, but sometimes you just get so attached to some things, that it becomes so difficult to let go of them. I still often run in the same shirt and shorts that I wore in training for my first marathon three years ago. If they're comfortable and still have plenty of use in them, then I shall continue to use them. In a way, they're like lucky items of clothing to me and I can't imagine running without them. I worry that running in different clothing, I'll somehow jinx myself and give myself an injury. It's totally irrational but that's just the way I am.

And so I have a new pair of running shoes. Despite being worn out, I still think there's some use for my old shoes. I might still rotate between the old and new shoes as I wear into the new pair, which will take a bit of getting used to. I'm not sure they're quite the same size as my old pair. In fact, they feel a bit smaller, but I've already tried them out on a treadmill for half an hour with no ill effects, so tomorrow I will take to the streets and see whether the new shoes pass muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment