Sunday 13 March 2011

Decline and Fool

I feel a bit disappointed with myself. Yesterday I ran “only” 15 miles. I had wanted to do more. I would have been happy with 18 miles or 20 miles but I could only manage 15. I hadn’t been feeling right all day as it happens, but I’m still disappointed with myself. Maybe it was because I hadn’t drank one of those energy sports drinks or eaten a banana beforehand but I just did not have the energy to go further than 15 miles. Also, my foot started to hurt a bit at some point during the run. I don’t really know what it was, but it felt like the life and energy had been sucked right out of me. I wanted to keep on running, maybe do another three miles and make it to 18 miles, but forgive me readers, I just couldn’t take any more.

I am getting a bit worried though. Maybe I am mentally or physically “taking my foot off the gas” and getting complacent. It seems a bit typical with me. I usually suffer some sort of mental stumbling block with the winning post in sight. Events somehow conspire to deny me what is seemingly within reach. Is this just a little setback, an ‘off day,’ a rare lapse in my otherwise impressive training, or is this the start of a decline?

On the other hand, perhaps I should feel proud of myself that despite clearly having an ‘off day,’ I still managed to run 15 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment