Wednesday 9 March 2011

A Run For Your Money

The training for the London Marathon continues unabated. On Sunday 20th March, I shall be taking part in another half-marathon, this time in Brentwood, Essex. As with the half-marathon I’ve just completed, this will no doubt help me adapt to race conditions and get used to running alongside other runners, male and female, fast and slow, etcetera, etcetera.

I have, up to now, managed to run a staggering 21 miles in a single training session. In theory, I could stand to run more miles, but I think this would be bordering on the excessive, not to mention the insane. It takes me about three hours (and a bit) to get to 20 miles when I’m at the top of my game, so running any longer than this in a single go is really rather unnecessary, and crucially, not recommended by the experts.

Part of me wants to try and train for the whole 26 miles beforehand, just to prove that I can actually run the distance of the marathon, but perhaps this would be a tad foolish. If I can run for 20 miles, I should be able to run another 6 on top of that. I don’t quite know how exactly. I expect the adrenaline will be keeping me going those last few miles. That and the encouragement of the spectators in the street. I am quietly confident that I will manage it.

So you see, the training is going very well indeed. As far as the fundraising is concerned, that’s going quite well as well. I have raised very nearly £1000 of my target of £2000, so I am almost halfway there. I knew that running for 26 miles would be an extraordinarily challenging task, but it seems that equally as challenging is the fundraising. I’m extremely grateful for the sponsorship that I have received so far and I am quietly confident (again!) that more donations will trickle in as the day of the marathon approaches.

Part of me feels a little guilty in pressurising and pestering people to part with their hard-earned cash so I will have to be a little more proactive. It's got to be done; the fundraising is an important part of my marathon attempt. There's nothing like being forced to pay £10 so that someone you vaguely know can run two dozen miles in the middle of the biggest bloody recession the country's had in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment